Friday, March 7, 2014

Bittersweet

#travel#feelings#Degagnac

What is bittersweet ...

Something with both sweet and bitter flavours in taste/ food such as chocolate or something that you feel that combines both sadness and happiness!

It is a term often used to describe your emotions when your journey or path in life takes you to new destinations or directions.

This is a feeling I am quite familiar with ... It originally happens for me whenever we are planning our travels, as  I have mixed feelings about leaving behind our children and our grandchildren for an extended period of time.

And then the feeling comes back again at the end of our adventure in foreign places when it is time to leave our "home away from home" and the new friends we have made during our travels and it is time to return to our family and loved ones! 

I feel sad and happy at the same time!

Why I am talking about this today... a dear friend is feeling both sad to leave behind her children and grandchildren in Belgium and she is also excited and happy to return to her "other home" in "la belle France".

As I think about my friend "mon amie" it stirs the bittersweet emotions within me as the plans for our next adventure fall into place.

I feel sadness and worry about leaving behind the kids and our darling grandchildren. 

Once I am on my way to the airport and then on the airplane, these feelings will subside and be overtaken by the excitement of travelling to unknown and new places!

Oh the wonders of travel, the opportunities to experience different lifestyles and cultures and to meet new people and make new friends and reunite with old friends!  





2 comments:

  1. Well said,my friend. I have a bit the same feelings ! Don't like to leave kids,grandkids,family and dear friends !! But once on the road to our second home I feel good knowing I can see all my friends I let behind here !!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you arrived home safely! Enjoy your walks in the French countryside!

      Delete